There is a cool extension inside of Graffiti Extras called Sharing written by Thomas Freudenberg. It displays a list of images and hyperlinks to all of the major social bookmarking sites. With this added to my site, visitors can easily share what they find with the rest of the world.
All of the Graffiti CMS extensions use Caulk which allows you to easily add content to your pages. For those of you that don’t know what is Caulk? Look at the Caulk Overview page.
And here’s how I set it up.
- Download it here and compile it.
- Upload the GraffitiExtras.dll, GraffitiExtras.pdb, and GraffitiExtras.dll.config to your site\bin folder.
- Copy the images. I used the 24×24 square icons, so I uploaded them from C:\…\GraffitiExtras-5345\1.0\GraffitiExtras\Extensions\Sharing\images\square\24×24 to ftp:\\backtothewind\__utility\img\share
- From within the Graffiti admin, go to presentation/themes and click on Personalize for your current theme and then click on post.view.
- Add the following where you want your sharing links to be displayed:
<div id="shareItHeader">» Share It:</div>
- Click Save and then open style.css or whatever css file your theme uses, scroll to the bottom of the file and add the following:
font: bold 1.3em;
- Click Save and open a new browser window and load your site. This allows you to view your site and still have the admin page open. This just makes editing easier since you may have to make some adjustments on the placement or style.
- When copying the binaries, GraffitiExtras.pdb is optionally and only used for debugging. I always include it because error tracking is easier since the stack trace will include line numbers.
- The » is a html symbol and can be changed. Use this page for more characters or symbols.
- The share folder doesn’t exist by default on Graffiti sites so you will have to create it.